[Fedora-livecd-list] squashfs -- anyone have a pristine tree?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Apr 12 19:37:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 10:12 -0700, Jane Dogalt wrote:
> > What does X autodetection mean?
> > X is X.
>
> Actually A is A, but...
>
> X autodetection is udev 'correctly' supporting hot/coldplug of vga adapters.
>
> In reality it's a few lines of script here and there that accomplish more or
> less the same thing.

More realistically, it's the work in X itself to autoconfigure itself
based on the monitor and video cards present in the machine.  Anything
else is going to be less than optimal.  The X server already has all
kinds of this information (read through your X log sometime), but it
basically just throws it out.  Instead, we really want it to be using
that information to give an "optimal" configuration and then things like
resolution can start being a user preference[1]

If someone is interested in helping to work on this, I can put you into
contact with one of the X guys who has started looking at it as well

Jeremy

[1] This is already the case, we just have to set up the defaults where
we _can't_ easily do probing for monitors