[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: X autodetection/configuration

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 13 19:42:13 UTC 2006

--- Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 13:07 -0700, Jane Dogalt wrote:
> > Actually it's called "Xorg -configure".  That will generate an xorg.conf
> file
> > that matches your vga (and sometimes monitor I think) hardware.  Then you
> do
> > some sed or python or perl to tune things like the user preferred
> resolution.
>
> This is actually a really poor way to do things.  Frob hardware once to
> start X, then exit, then start again?  It's a bit overkill.

I'm not exactly sure what 'frob' means, but my guess is that hardware was made
to be frobbed.  If it was really bad, why is the -configure option there?
AFAIC nothing is overkill compared to what kadischi is currently using (i.e.
zip).

  Plus,
> modifying of an xorg.conf is very painful.

Here's some sample code attached... (takes existing config in from pipe,
outputs to stdout).  I'll agree it was moderately painful, but not at all
undoable.  (note, code is 5 years old, current xorg.conf syntax might break
it).  And please don't bother with derisions about how ugly this or perl is.  I
merely submit this as an example.  Look at it if you like, think about it if
you like, and use it if you like.  If not, post your own code that gets the job
done.

  You also need to take into
> account whether or not font paths are being used or a font server, etc,
> etc.

I would presume to take whatever default xorg.conf anaconda generates (say
forcing it to assume vesa or vga), and then inserting the -configure'd device
and monitor section.  Then providing a suitably autoconfigured/generic input
device section (note my script above puts in ps/2, usb, and lirc mouse, and
doesn't really care how many of those the user has).

> Was harassing ajax some more about this yesterday, though, and we came
> to the conclusion that if you comment out the modes line from the
> display section and the horizontal and vertical sync lines from the
> monitor section, X mostly auto-detects and picks the "best" that can be
> done.  That plus xrandr could get very reasonable automagic X setups.

If that theoretical solution turns out to work better than what I've already
done that I know already works, I'd love to integrate it into my project.

For now though, I'm more of the mindset- get something working asap, and then
evolutionarily change it as time, research and development progress.  I don't
know who this ajax person is, but if they are an X developer, and suggesting
that -configure is the wrong thing, then hopefully they will either replace
that option with the right thing, or reimplement it as the right thing.

-jdog