[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi: roadmap from Board meeting ?

Jasper O'neal Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 17 04:29:08 UTC 2006

Jane Dogalt wrote:

>4) run as user, not root (thus build system cannot be corrupted by liveiso
>generator bugs)

The first thing I can think of with this as a problem is Anaconda RPMdb
locks and mkinitrd.
Running Anaconda to do these things requires root privs, so this would
probably mean
Anaconda should be modified. mkinitrd must also currently be run as root.

>7) selinux, via ext2 image as an option

I think xattrs support in SquashFS is what we want.

>8) feature flag to remove fedora/rh art/trademarks from target so that output
>can be redistributed as a new distribution without any special permission from
>fedora/rh.

Now this is really strange, Kadischi is a tool to yes, to create LiveCD
media..
but to create Fedora Core CD media. Although Rahul mentions running
Anaconda in Debian
may be possible, I don't think right now is the time to be focusing any
efforts on running Kadischi
on everything but Fedora Core. Likewise in this same respect, Kadischi
shouldn't be focusing
on allowing users to build thier own "distribution". It is a LiveCD tool
not a distribution tool.

I'm not saying it can't be done, sure it could.
I just don't think it is Kadischi's job to help user's build thier own
distribution's LiveCD.
This is something the user should be doing, not Kadischi.

Take for instance I want to build a new distribution that will be
deployed to a few people somewhere..
I get Kadischi, modify it a bit to do what I need in that particular
case, and use it.
If this involves removing trademarks and artwork, so be it that is my
responsibility as a user.
Just my 2 cents.

J. Hartline