[Fedora-livecd-list] post_install_script options/interactivity

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Apr 19 19:32:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 13:23 -0500, Jasper O'neal Hartline wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> >04userconfig and 07accounts are different than the other
> >post_install_scripts in that they both start interactive processes.
> >Currently, if the user has selected to use kickstart or cmdline mode for
> >anaconda, the functionality of these scripts are skipped.  This is okay
> >to beat them into shape but we're eventually going to want to architect
> >things so we can access the functionality when we're running anaconda
> >noninteractively.
> >
> Absolutely. See the http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kadischi/Schedule item
> * make Anaconda ignore %livecd section, have Kadischi read this section
> (This is a kickstart cfg file item).

This sounds good if everyone agrees that kadischi and anaconda should be
moving closer together.  Are we working towards the day when Kadischi is
a special case within anaconda, Jeremy?

Is this started yet?  Or are we going to have to wait for FC6's anaconda
to deploy these changes?  (Hmmm... a rather ugly kludge: since kadischi
parses the file first, kadischi can pull out the livecd section and
write a temporary kickstart file that is passed on to anaconda.)

> > Additionally, just because I've scripted a portion of
> >anaconda's installer doesn't mean I don't want to configure the
> >remaining pieces by hand.  (anaconda itself allows for setting some
> >things within a kickstart while prompting for missing values.)
> >

> Yes, but this isn't using cmdline method. An incomplete kickstart file
> will halt
> Anaconda when using an incomplete kickstart file and cmdline method at
> the same time.
>
> >I think we want to copy the idea of cmdline, text, and graphical that
> >anaconda has into kadischi.  When kadischi is run in cmdline mode it
> >attempts to execute with only the values given on the cmdline.
> >
> This isn't absolutely correct.. cmdline method of Anaconda doesn't bring
> up any curses or GTK+ UI of any kind.

Err.. I think that's what I said.
* The --cmdline method needs to take all options from the
commandline/config files and error if any information is missing.
* using --kickstart=[file] (alone or paired with --text/--graphical)
should set things up according to commandline/config but go interactive
if information is missing.

> Maybe a bit more clarification, I am very open to ideas and of course
> any additional items
> or changes to scripts must be thought of as a starting point, the
> userconfig and accounts scripts
> are nothing more than skeletons. It brings the idea into play, rather
> than a finished concept.

If the way forward is a special kickstart file section then I think I'll
do some work there.  It looks like pykickstart holds the kickstart
parser.  So we'd want to modify that to recognize the %livecd header.

* Do we need to coordinate with someone to get the changes merged in?
pykickstart for livecds?
* Does it make any sense to generalize the section for readonly root or
stateless type applications?  firstboot?
* What options do we want embedded in there?  Usernames and passwords;
selinux and firewall configuration; services to start....

-Toshio