bootloaders, was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Re: Kadischi: roadmap from Board meeting ?

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Thu Apr 20 23:38:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 11:24 -0700, Jane Dogalt wrote:
> On that note however, it would seem the 3rd alternative would be the
> beloved grub.  Apparently grub supports cd's, i.e.
>
> http://snapplatform.org/snappix/home/?q=node/4
>
> Does anybody have any experience or knowlege of issues with using grub instead
> of isolinux (i.e. it's definately less tried and true in the cd-boot scenario,
> but are there any explicity well known gotchas?)

I've used grub via morphix.  It has worked fine without any hitch in
that scenario.  I tried to make my own bootable iso's by following
grub's info page instructions and ended up with things that didn't work
as expected (non-bootable CDs, CDs that would boot to the grub
commandline.)  Summary:  Seems to work but I'm not the one to ask how to
script a script that installs it :-).

-Toshio