[Fedora-livecd-list] What is kadischi capable of ?

Andy Trayford andrew.trayford at bakbone.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 12:59:16 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I've been a watcher here for a while now, and have also tried out
kadischi on FC5.

What I really need and think a liveCD generation tool should offer is as
follows:

-          Bootable customised version of chosen distribution

-          Ability to make the distribution as "Light" or minimalistic
as possible.
this includes chopping down an X solution (i.e. XFCE/fluxbox) as small
as possible.

-          Total package choice independancy without having to install
buckets of dependencies.

-          Media delivery options: USB / CD / DVD.

-          Cross Platform: PowerPC (IBM & Mac), X86, X86-64, Solaris,
Itanium (efi).
By Cross Platform I mean ability to produce same configuration on all
Distro supported architecture.

-          Minimal or no boot menu's: i.e. complete hardware auto
detection or Menu customisation.
possibly only configure IP address by menu choice ?

-          Custom Boot splash or no boot splash.

There are many minimalistic distro's like DSL or comprehensive ones like
Knoppix.

Under standard liveCD tools it seems impossible to create a replica
distro like either of these without creating a heavily bloated DVD
image.

Does Fedora have the capability of reproducing such distro's for its
supported architecture list.

My reason is to use a specific application in both X & Cmdline, and
useable in our labs on all platforms, on the smallest media possible.

Currently I believe from the discussions I am seeing that its barely
possible for fedora to even complete any kind of liveCD, although Jdogs
pilgrim seems to be the closest in theory ? is pilgrim available and
useable ? or have I got the wrong idea about pilgrim? (I haven't seen a
website for pilgrim).

If anyone has any positive info on how fedora could be used to match my
requests, I would be very interested to test and use on all platforms.

Thanks All

Andy T