[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: updated liveusb.sh

Fred J. Bourgeois, III FJB3 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 11 23:54:10 UTC 2006

--- Original Message ---
From: Chris & Melinda LaForce <cdlaforc at centurytel.net>
To: "Fred J. Bourgeois, III" <FJB3 at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: updated liveusb.sh

>On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 16:10 -0800, Fred J. Bourgeois, III wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:49:16 -0600, Chris & Melinda LaForce
>> <cdlaforc centurytel net> wrote:

>> > Fred,
>> >    I have been looking to try out the liveusb.sh script.  I
>> possible can
>> > you explain to me kind of how to use it including any pre
>> installation
>> > step that need to be preformed on the usb media(ie. formating,
>> > partitioning)
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > Chris.
>>
>> Hi Chris:
>>
>> This script just creates an image (in a file) of a bootable USB
>> filesystem.  Jasper's original version required a few options on
>> the command line, but my changes set some very generic defaults
>> for those required options.  The main thing you need to be
>> prepared for is building your image in a partition that has
>> enough free disc space - about 1GB if you choose the default
values.

>> Here is an example of how I run it (as root):
>>   liveusb.sh --root="/tmp/liveusb.work/liveusb.root"
>>
>> After the script completes you will have an image file named
>> /tmp/liveusb.work/liveusb-final.image ... you will then write
>> this to your flashdrive via dd:
>>   dd if=/tmp/liveusb.work/liveusb-final.image
of=/dev/Your-USB-Device

>> Typically, "Your-USB-Device" will look like a SCSI device, named
>> something like (but not necessarily exactly): /dev/sdc .
>>
>> I hope that helps.
>>     -fjb
>>
>> --
>> Fred J. Bourgeois, III
>>

>Fred,
>   Thanks for the help.  I have created the image file and put
it on my
>usb device, but I haven't be able to boot it up.  I tried 2
different
>memory keys(Cruzer mini 1.0 GB, Memorex TravelDrive mini 1.0 GB)
on 2
>different machines and had no luck.  I know I booted from usb on
these
>before and have the boot order set to be usb device first.  I'm
not sure
>what the problem may be here.  Here's how I setup the usb media
before
>dd'ing the file over:
>
>mke2fs -j /dev/sda
>
>tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/sda
>
>Let me know if you can offer any help.
>Thanks,
>
>Chris.

Hi Chris:

You should not need to use mke2fs before writing the image to the
USB device.  The file system is all built-in to the image file,
and the dd command writes everything (boot block, partition
table, and fs contents) to the USB device.  One thing to look at
carefully is to make sure that your USB device really is using
/dev/sda, and not /dev/sd[bcd] ... and also make sure that when
using dd you set of=/dev/sda (if your device is /dev/sda) and NOT
/dev/sda1 (this would be the first partition on /dev/sda).

I made a few more changes to the liveusb.sh script, to account
for different USB devices (you can now specify the device on the
command line) and the new version is available at the same
location (ftp://ftp.applios.net/pub/fjb/LiveUSB/liveusb.sh).