[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora Core Ofiicial LiveCD and DVD media

J. Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 17 18:40:29 UTC 2006

Chris Negus wrote:

>That's what I was thinking. Considering the compressed file system, I
>would think that you could get a lot of stuff in 1.7GB. This way you
>have a fairly complete live CD and a full FC5 install from the same
>medium.
>
>Is there much more to it than just combining the contents of the install
>DVD and live CD and changing some isolinux files?
>
>-- Chris Negus

Complete is aroung 7GB :-P
besides that the fastest solution I can come up with in theory is
Kadischi be installed to the medium
and utilize Anaconda as it would if on a rw HDD, writing all files
needed by Anaconda in the ramfs.
As far as partitioning or not, is another story. I suppose Jeremy could
tell you why or why Anaconda wouldn't
run from a standard CD media, and be able to install to selected HDD as
prescribed by existing Anaconda code base.

The trouble I think I'm seeing is that Anaconda or Kadischi needs to
distinguish between these, and skip or do
steps needed in that situation. From the looks of it.. --rootpath *does
do* partitioning.
Good for installing from an existing live system, bad for making the
live system in the beginning.

Also, emphasis will need to be put on how this tool should look in the
long run..
Should kadischi in and of itself accomodate for users building custom
live media, or just generic?
Sort of like it is now?

So we have a sort of double sided mirror, Kadischi, the custom
LiveCD(DVD) tool.. or Fedora Core LiveCD(DVD) with kadischi and HDD
installation methods, or both?
My vote is for both in the long run. I believe this is part of the
robustness that it needs.

J. Hartline