[Fedora-livecd-list] hdd installs from livecd patch - where?

Chris Negus cnegus at rucls.net
Thu Jul 13 14:28:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 09:17 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 01:26 -0700, Jane Dogalt wrote:
> > An alternative to that (and I think both alternatives have their
> > usefulness) would be something which just does GUI partitioning, and
> > then installs the livecd system itself to the harddrive (mkfs's the
> > new partition, copies the squashfs contents, undoes the changes that
> > were made specifically for the livecd environment).
>
> Doing this is an extremely bad and dangerous proposition.  There are way
> too many things that you can't really just "undo" from a live CD.  I've
> been through this before, I think even on this list...

Jeremy, are there plans to produce any sort of combination live
CD/installer for Fedora 6 (preferably on a DVD)? For those of us who
want to redistribute Fedora, it would be great to be able to show a live
CD, then have the user install from the same medium.

Out of necessity, I put together a live CD that I distributed with the
Fedora 5 Bible (obviously experimental and unsupportedTM). From the boot
prompt, they could either run the live CD or launch the installer to do
a permanent install from the network or other medium.

While having a live CD and install DVD sit side-by-side on the same
medium is not as interesting from a technical standpoint, it could be
useful (as a minimum goal) from a marketing standpoint.

Thoughts?

-- Chris Negus