[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi - Xen kernels

J. Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 11 19:17:32 UTC 2006

Hi.
I'm sitting here and have read over the small document in the syslinux
source package
for using multiboot standard kernels. It entails simply using the
mboot.c32 as a kernel
and loading the rest as appropriate.
Since the kernel Xen packages have been going through a naming scheme
switcheroo
(kernel-xen-(hypervisor|guest) and kernel-xen(0|U))
the current functions.py is incorrect and will be changed once again.
The relevant kernel changelog entries for this convention are:
- Rename kernel-xen-(hypervisor|guest) to kernel-xen(0|U) for consistency
  with upstream and to make kernel subtype suffixes match the subpackage
  names.
Dated March 6th, 2006.
I am asking for your opinions however on the use of the Xen kernels with
Isolinux.

There are two ways I see this happenning, let me explain.
1) In functions.py, if we resolve the kernel to be a xen0 kernel, set
kernel_is_xen to True
within the existing get_kernel_version() function. Likewise in
kadischi.py pass the value of kernel_is_xen to
install-boot.sh as a 4th argument(There are three now, sysdir, csysdir,
and kernel_version).
While in install-boot.sh we could simply evaluate kernel_is_xen for True
or False
and set isolinux.cfg appropriately while also copying the neccessary
files from the syslinux
tree, to $csysdir/boot/isolinux.
This requires changing 3 documents within the kadischi module.
(functions.py, kadischi.py and install-boot.sh)

2) In install-boot.sh simply grep, awk or otherwise parse the $kernel
for a "xen0" string
since the kernel version will have already been established and of
course add the extra
block for writing isolinux.cfg (bash if - else).
This requires modifying one document in the Kadischi module.

I'll also be re-updating functions.py tonight, I certainly didn't check
the naming scheme
since I had modified functions.py to resolve kernel-xen-hypervisor
kernels correctly, since March 6th.
These are the two methods I see as plausible and I am liking option #2
as it requires
the least number of modifications.
Your opinions?

J. Hartline