[Fedora-livecd-list] Expectation Setting

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Sat Mar 18 16:06:35 UTC 2006

Jane Dogalt wrote:
> I was getting 3kb/s from that link earlier today.  Just now I saw 100KB/s for
> the first meg, then it dropped quickly to 15KB/s and still falling.
>
> I'm impatient.  And the fact that you can't tell me about compatibility and are
> looking for tests, does not inspire me with confidence.

Can't really speak to this. Kadischi is for building isos, I think if
the project wants to start distributing an official iso they need to
make it easy to access and have a reliable connection.

> For instance, what are you using for X configuration?  Vesa?  That x command
> line option which generates a decent xf86config(and which I've woefully
> forgotten)?  A script which parses the output of lspci?  For monitors, edid
> tool?  assuming it can handle 1024x768x72hz?

I've used the same iso on several different machines, some nvidia based,
some ati based, lots of different displays. I had to write a script that
reconfigures X and then modifies the xorg.conf. This was a workaround to
get 1280x1024 at a decent refresh rate, and also deal with a bunch of
broken dell radeon 7000 chipsets that lock up the box while loading dri.

> How about network autoconfiguration?  Does kudzu have some way to automagically
> do that without user intervention during early boot these days?  Did you manage
> to find the pcimodules program which seems to be absent from pciutils these
> days?  Is there some new magic available for runtime hardware autoconfiguration
> that wasn't available the last time I did this a few years ago?

Networking is autoconfigured from what I can see. Everything has worked
for me on a variety of boxes.

> I guess what instills me with fear is seeing anaconda under kadischi spewing
> info about probing the hardware of the running system.  For now, I'm working
> under the assumption that I may well have to do quite a bit of post processing
> to undo assumptions made by a stateful anaconda install.

We can't stand the 1024x768 so we have a script that hacks it:

1) at rc.local, remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf, then call fixup script.
2) use "system-config-display --noui" to regen.
3) sed to add the 1280x1024 mode.
4) sed to comment out dri (broken dell systems)
5) sed to tickle the HorizSync
6) set to tickle the VertRefresh

This is a little dangerous for old fixed freq monitors, but we have a
warning on our distro about this. We have the luxury of spec'ing the
minimum hardware requirements so we mandate big LCDs. :-)

--
SW