[Fedora-livecd-list] Expectation Setting

J. Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Sun Mar 19 03:23:15 UTC 2006

Jane Dogalt wrote:

>If generating live cds that are as functional and useful as knoppix isn't the
>ultimate goal of kadischi, what is?

Fedora Core based LiveCD media, of course.

>"
>Distribute these blessed Live CDs far and wide, through whatever clever means
>we can come up with.
>"
>
>I don't know how to interpret those goals as anything other than competing with
>knoppix (and I would hope mandriva, etc...).  With of course the added kick ass
>feature that remastering is as easy as tweaking a kickstart+userpayload.  As
>opposed to the more complex nature of rerolling knoppix from scratch (I would
>hope those guys have a decent build script/system by now, but I haven't looked
>in a while).
>
>-jdog

I can tell you from first hand experience that rolling your own Fedora
CD with Kadischi
is tenfold easier than remastering Knoppix, especially from your
description and logic.

I personally think it is a common misconception to try and compare any
two Linux systems in such a
way as you describe, unless you are talking strictly about the Linux
kernel. Noth are Linux systems.
Both operate in a read-only environment. With the recent addition of
user bootsplash support
in Kadischi CVS, it is just the beginnings of what you will see
associated and available with Kadischi.

These are my opinions however, and I am very interested in the Fedora
Project and Fedora Core myself.
Knoppix is a good system also.  Knoppix is more of a fork, than a
"Debian LiveCD".
There are differences and these need to be determined and can only be
evaluated on a per-user basis.
What is or isn't with Kadischi is up to the mind of the reader and user.

J. Hartline