[Fedora-livecd-list] trademark/copyright issues with distributing kadischi output?

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 26 15:45:56 UTC 2006

--- Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > Does the full spectrum of removing the artwork/trademarks that is
> associated
> > with creating a fedora derivative distribution apply?
> >

> Good point indeed!
>
> I think we need something like this
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ChitleshGoorah/legal
>
> Please have a look and review it,
> Ive asked nman on irc and greg too

I still think the answer is fuzzy.  It seems there are 2 issues I see-

1) "distributing something under the name Fedora"

and

2) "distributing something under another name, but without removing every trace
of fedora art/trademarks, i.e. the default behaviour of kadischi"

(and 3) "distributing something under another name, and removing every trace of
fedora art/trademarks".

Clearly #3 is acceptable.  Clearly #1 is unacceptable.  The wiki, and some
answers so far suggest that #2 is acceptable, but I would like that to be made
explicitly clear if so.  Because if it is unacceptable, then until #3 becomes
easy to do (post install script included in kadischi package), then kadischi
has a somewhat more limited usefulness to I think a healthy fraction of it's
current target users.  For example, if unacceptable, the LWN author would not
be allowed to post his iso online (though presumably s/he could post a short
script and/or instructions for how to produce a theoretically identical iso)

-jdog