[Fedora-livecd-list] Kadishi + image on Hard Disk

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 08:39:04 UTC 2006

--- Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 9/14/06, cassbeck at free.fr <cassbeck at free.fr> wrote:
> > Is it possible ?
>
> Yes :) and you have 2 solutions for that :)

A third solution from a devolopment (not end user) point of view is to
construct a bootloader configuration/installation, either on your hard
disk, or cdrom, which combined with a modified early boot
configuration, causes the system to natively (as opposed to
qemu/vmware) boot the live iso image from disk.  My circa 2001
mandrake-8.0 livecd system did this.   My livecd, when booting, would
scan all hard disks for a 'cached' iso image (on fat32 or ext2), and if
it found it, would use it instead of the cdrom drive.  Likewise, if it
didn't find the image, but found a filesystem with >1G free space on
it, it would go ahead and cache the image, and then use that.

As I've mentioned in prior messages, these days, it seems like it's
probably feasible to accomplish that and more functionality with cool
devicemapper tricks.

But for the end user, if full-speed-performance is not needed,
chitlesh's qemu solution is definitely the right answer.

I also have a feeling that some developmental versions of grub or other
bootloaders might support booting from iso images directly, doing the
magic to present the end system with a virtual cdrom drive.  But don't
quote me on that.

-jdog

http://clunixchit.blogspot.com/2006/02/launching-fedora-based-livecd-with.html#links