[Fedora-livecd-list] pilgrim livecd work

Jasper Hartline jasperhartline at adelphia.net
Sat Sep 23 23:40:28 UTC 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 17:27 -0500, Jasper Hartline wrote:
>
>>> Does this require network connectivity?
>>>

>> Yes, simply invoking Anaconda brings up Anaconda.
>> The RPMs can come from the network if it is a LiveCD, and presumably
>> from the network
>> or from the DVD if it is a LiveDVD.
>>
>> It requires network connectivity in the LiveCD case, yes.. and for the
>> LiveDVD unless
>> Fedora Core repository is provided on disc.
>>

> I see. Sorry, but I think this is a little backwards, I mean, why
> wouldn't I just download the install CD's; it's pretty much the same
> amount of traffic.

I'll leave you to debate the difference between a router style 550MB
install and a full blown everything
chosen 7GB install. I'm sure a calculator isn't necessary to see the
difference.
> Also keep in mind that many consumers of live cd's (typically in poor
> countries) have zero network connectivity - all they have is a live cd
> that some benevolent organization sent them. Like Ubuntu's ship it.
>
> The approach I have in mind includes just reusing the ext3 file system
> we have already prepared and just dd that onto the target installation
> block device. That way an install would take very little time and the
> only thing you need to make this work is the live cd itself.

This is extremely unflexible and the user is limited to what you've
mastered onto the LiveCD
without yum installing xyz all day long, which they don't even know exists.
With Anaconda it is a familiar, flexible, choosable option, package
selectable interface
along with that upgrading the system from Core to Core is a snap, using
Anaconda.

J. Hartline