[Fedora-livecd-list] [SCRIPT] simple tool for finding large removable packages

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 00:34:04 UTC 2007

I don't know if this will help anyone, but here is a script I wrote/use
to help me find which packages I might want to remove from a livecd
spin.

Basically it reverse sorts the installed packages by size, and gives
you the package info, as well as which/how-many packages depend on it
(and their size).

I.e. from an example run on a system, here is the first few lines of
output-  (and the thing it tells me immediately is that gimp-help is
huge, nothing depends on it, and it's probably the first candidate for
removal.  Of course, what I'd like it to also tell me is that gimp-help
has something to do with an image manipulation program, but the rpm
desc is a little deficient in that regard IMO)

(203.48MB) openoffice.org-core is NOT removable
number of packages that are dependent: 7
biggest deps are
openoffice.org-calc(14.81MB)
openoffice.org-writer(5.78MB)
openoffice.org-impress(4.28MB)

package description: openoffice.org-core-2.0.2-5.12.2

core libraries and support files for openoffice.org

(64.05MB) gimp-help is removable
package description: gimp-help-2-0.1.0.10.0.fc5.1

The GIMP User Manual is a newly written User Manual for the GIMP.

(61.25MB) glibc-common is NOT removable
number of packages that are dependent: 2
biggest deps are
glibc(11.66MB)
redhat-lsb(.02MB)