[Fedora-livecd-list] Support for custom configuration using python templates

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Wed Apr 25 16:58:12 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 14:53 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> Any suggestions?  I am willing to do the code myself but in the lack
> of any interest I'm going to end up creating a one off solution, so
> mucho input is desired.

I think munging configuration files might be outside the scope of the
livecd-tools project; sure, granted it's something people want to do but
often it's used as a hack; for example on my system

 $ rpm -qf /etc/issue
 fedora-release-6.93-1

so I think what you *could* do instead is to have olpc-release or
similar on OLPC provide that file (would be based on fedora-release). Of
course, since /etc/issue is marked as %config(noreplace) in the
fedora-release it's still sane for you to edit it in %post. I guess it
all depends on the configuration file in question.

So I think my point of view right now is that it's good enough to do
this in %post for most cases; I mean, if downstreams (like OLPC) need to
change a ton of configuration files/defaults perhaps there is something
broken with the apps you try to include?

Perhaps you can come up with concrete examples of what configuration
files / defaults you need to edit /change? I think that would be useful.
Thanks.

    David