[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- improving livecd installer efficiency

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Aug 13 17:47:47 UTC 2007

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey,
> 	Okay, I follow you now. Doing:
>
>   - Create snapshot of os.img
>   - Resize it down to the smallest possible size
>   - Copy it to disk
>   - Resize it back up to the size of the disk
>
> 	has the dual advantages of being able to install to the small possible
> disk size and not copying unallocated blocks.
>
> 	Sounds like a reasonable plan ... go ahead and give it a shot.

turboLiveInst has been posted, polished, reposted with real world
IMPRESSIVE performance results, and has now been collecting dust for a
couple weeks.  I don't suppose you'd be kind enough to give it a review
for me Mark?  Especially since you seem to understand the basic gist of
the devicemapper snapshot resize2fs technique.

I'd really like to get it into rawhide/f8t2 ASAP so that if there is
some fundamental problem with the approach that we discover and deal
with it (or trash it*) sooner rather than later.

* obviously I'm kidding.  There is no problem.  Its solid, elegant, and
the right answer, and nobody has suggested any reason to the contrary.

Regards,

-dmc