[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: livecd persistence

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Aug 17 22:17:53 UTC 2007

Matthias Clasen wrote:

> I was just referring to your question about an "approved feature", but
> maybe I just misunderstood what you were trying to say.

I was responding to Jeremy's original email, in which he suggested the
impetus for immediate action was to get the code into f8t2.  For that to
happen, would require an "approved feature", if I understand the fedora
policy correctly.

I further tried to bring some onlist exposure to the offlist discussion
I had with GDK regarding why I haven't personally signed the fedora CLA
such that I could personally add the proposed feature to the wiki.

The issue is, that the current (or as of a couple weeks ago) CLA would
appear to give redhat the legal right to take works submitted under the
CLA-related channels, and then modify and redistribute them without the
GPL style restriction of requiring modifcations to be submitted back to
the original author.

GDK and fedora legal seemed to agree that this was in fact the case, but
I have not yet heard back from GDK's reply which he also cc'd to Max.

If those changes got 'committed' to the CLA to remove that (presumably
unintentional, but still unpalatable) loophole, then I would personally
sign the CLA, and submit the livecd persistence feature as a proposed
feature, such that it could make it into f8t2, as Jeremy clearly has in
mind.

I hope that clarifies the issue I was trying to present.

-dmc