[Fedora-livecd-list] boot failure on VIA Epia M-6000 board

Andy Gospodarek gospo at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 17:15:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 09:02:25AM -0700, Thorsten von Eicken wrote:
> Andy Gospodarek wrote:
> >On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 09:26:13PM -0700, Thorsten von Eicken wrote:
> >>I've been trying to boot the F7 live-cd on a VIA Epia M-6000 (600Mhz
> >>fan-less VIA C3 Eden processor). With the distributed live-cd
> >>(Fedora-7-Live-i686.iso) the machine resets as soon as the kernel starts
> >>(i.e right after the initrd is unpacked).
> >>
> >>I built a custom i386 kernel with the VIA drivers and DMA turned off,
> >>which got the kernel to boot. The problem I then have is that when init
> >>should be executed, the system simply hangs and nothing happens. The
> >>last line printed is "Freeing unused kernel memory".
> >>
> >>I then built an entire livecd-fedora-minimal system from scratch and
> >>still no joy (same problem where init doesn't run). I then replaced init
> >>by a "hello world" program. If I statically link the hello world program
> >>it happily prints "hello world", but if I dynamically link it it
> >>doesn't. So it looks like /bin/bash (dynamically linked) doesn't run.
> >>
> >>At this point I'm at the end of my fedora wisdom. I have previously
> >>successfully booted a custom gentoo 2.6 kernel on this box, and the
> >>ubuntu 6.06.1 system boots as well. I'd rather use fedora, though, and
> >>would appreciate any suggestions either about what to try, or how to get
> >>debug information about what fails when running a dyn linked executable.
> >>

> >Was the other distros you tried specific i386 builds?  I'm pretty sure
> >the C3 doesn't support the full set of i686 extensions (I think it's
> >basically an i586), so you would certainly have problems with the i686
> >kernel and were right to build an i386 one.  I'm a little surprised you
> >are having glibc problems however....
>
> Yes, the other distros were i386 builds, and yes, the C3 doesn't support
> the full i686 set. Do you have suggestions about how to figure out
> what's wrong with glibc? Or anything I could try to get all this to work?

Nothing is ringing a bell yet.  I've been racking my brain trying to
figure out why this has happened in the past.  (I've seen this on other
ARCHs, but I can't remember what I did to fix it.)

Can you send out your .config from your kernel?  I'm curious what the
whole thing looks like, but in particular I wonder about this section:

#
# Executable file formats
#
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
# CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT is not set
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=m

These are the defaults when doing a `make ARCH=i386 oldconfig` and are
probably what you have, so this probably isn't the problem.  Go ahead
and sent the whole .config anyway and I'll take a look.