[Fedora-livecd-list] Trimming the size of LiveCD's

Patrice Guay patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca
Fri Aug 31 15:27:41 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon a écrit :
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 10:24 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a thought:
>>>
>>> 1304 random packages will install 724 MB of data in /usr/share/doc
>>>
>>> I'm sure there is /something/ to gain here. If every package on average
>>> installs ~0.5 MB of docs... Would it worth figuring out what docs
>>> should
>>> be on the LiveCD in the first place? I guess removing everything RPM
>>> calls docs is too much, as this will include man-pages as well.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>

>> As long as you are willing to ignore the rpm verification issue that
>> gets raised every time this is mentioned (or go with Douglas'
>> fixup-script approach),
>
> Also, it occurred to me that the more complete solution to the rpm
> verification issue would be to have a (signed?) list of files that are
> expected to be missing.  Then with either a wrapper, or a minor mod to
> rpm, you could have just as complete verification.
>
> Then, the solution to the inefficient fixup problem (downloading whole
> rpms just to get the small missing files), if one were serious about
> it, you could obviously for every shipped livecd, create a single
> signed package of just the missing files.

If this package is shipped as a RPM, conflict may arise with the
original RPM about file ownership.

>> dropping language support is certainly going to give you just as much
>> if not
>> more space savings. I recently added %lang tags to most of the big
>> gnome help
>> documents in /usr/share/gnome/help. Also, dropping CJK fonts easily
>> saves some 40M.
On my current live CD release, I strip rarely used documentation files
(changelog, news, non-englist html files). This saves 7MB on the
resulting Live CD. I also remove language files and it saves 95MB of
compressed space.

--
Patrice