[Fedora-livecd-list] Live CD customization issues

Kramer Zramer xenkramer at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 18:34:47 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am a new Linux user and Fedora Core 5 was my first
distribution. We've also just migrated to a mix of
RHEL and Fedora in office.

Our system admin told us about the Fedora Live CD and
the Live CD tools which make it easy to customize one.
I have been playing with on weekends and can get a
basic system running, following the examples in the
Wiki. My compliments to the Live CD team for such an
easy to use tool, that even an inexperienced user like
me could use with success.

I'll be obliged if someone could assist me with the
following questions?

1. Creating the CD based on the RPM is pretty straight
forward and so is adding custom packages. But how do I
actually customize the CD in terms of eye
candy...wallpaper for example? How to play with
configuration files? Say I want to edit /etc/fstab?

2. Just for fun I extracted the contents of the
fedora-livecd-* rpms. Can I also customize the list of
applications as specified in these rpms? For example,
can I remove applications that are specified in the
fedora-livecd-desktop-6.1.i386.rpm?

3. How to add data on the customzed CD? Suppose I want
a particular folder which contains some files into the
Live CD? Is this possible?

4. I read the archives of the list and someone pointed
to the /var/tmp folder. What's in
/var/tmp/livecd-creator directory? The folder is
empty.

5. What's the installation root that I read in the
Wiki Howto
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo)?
 Is it the same as above?

Thank you.