[Fedora-livecd-list] patch, manifest changes

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Feb 26 17:42:44 UTC 2007

(... we are rapidly becoming off-topic for this list)

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 09:17 -0800, Jane Dogalt wrote:
> --- Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Jane Dogalt (jdogalt at yahoo.com) said:
> > > IMO /usr/share/doc is where manuals are supposed to go.  Are you
> > > suggesting they be binary encoded in the app for all applications?
> > As
> > > an anecdotal developer, I have plans on developing software which
> > keeps
> > > its documentation in html form under /usr/share/doc just like qemu,
> > > because it just seems like the right packaging style choice.  Of
> > course
> > > I haven't yet read all the fedora packaging guidelines...
> >
> > If it's an actual help document that comes up on <F1> (or whatever),
> > it should probably go in some portion of %{_datadir}.
>
> I always thought it seemed nice if when you launched your help
> documents in the app (with F1 or whatever) that that spawned
>
> "htmlviewer file:///usr/share/doc/myapp-version/index.html"
>
> Thus if that were a packaging guideline, or even unspoken consensus,
> then people would always have a consistent way to reach the
> documentation.  (and embedded systems developers who were really tight
> on memory requirements would have an easy way to nuke all the
> documentation at once).

Really, you don't want to spawn htmlview, you want to integrate with the
help view system of your desktop.  For GNOME, that means yelp and
scrollkeeper.  And libgnome provides a pretty easy way to integrate with
your help by launching yelp, etc.

Jeremy