[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: Fedora LiveCD On-Demand Service

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 02:54:49 UTC 2007

--- Thomas Chung <tchung at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 1/20/07, John Babich <jmbabich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/20/07, Jeroen Janssen
> <jeroen.janssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Maybe as a LiveDVD Spin?
> >
> > Okay, maybe I was getting a little greedy. :-)
> >
> > A liveDVD spin would certainly do it, but I have
> lousy internet access
> > and downloading a liveCD ISO is already difficult
> enough.
> >
> > Perhaps, this is more realistic:
> >
> > - Fedora desktop (per yum groupinstall)
> > - Quanta Plus
> > - Harddisk installation script
> >
> > SPACE PERMITTING In order of Priority:
> > - Kdevelop
> > - MoinMoin
> > - CVS
> > - Plone
>
> Perhaps, my offer was mis-understood. I didn't mean
> I was going to
> build entirely new LiveCD from scratch. I meant to
> *rebuild* based on
> Official Fedora 6 LiveCD + a couple of packages
> which were missing
> from the orignial LiveCD such as
> "system-config-network" or
> "openoffice.org" . Sorry, NO Alpha Harddisk install
> script will be
> added since it has been officially released yet.

An idea that occurs to me is a liveCD with either
graphical desktop, with the following Authoring and
Publishing packages:
tetex-3.0-?? or TeXLive
tetex-xdvi-??
kile if using KDE desktop
or
TeXMaker if GNOME based liveCD
gnuplot-4.0-??
maxima-runtime
maxima-gui
maxima-clisp
And of course with printing support-
*system-config-printers*

This would be a Math specialized CD of course.  It is
only an idea, I previously created a CD like this with
Kadishi, but since Extras could not be activated to
include packages from it, only TeTEX and gnuplot were
on the CD with both a version with KDE and GNOME
desktops for my friends.

A Fedora based Math LiveCD not to compete with but to
at least emulate the TeaM-TL (TeX Live + Linux Live)

http://team-tl.livenet.pl/index-eng.php?show=home-eng

Sorry if this is too much to ask for.  But I believe
that this would make many Fedora Users happy to be
able to take their Fedora Desktop anywhere and
showcase their desktop and their mathematical
presentations/work.  If you shoot it down, I
understand the work involved and hope that instead of
a LiveCD a LiveDVD with everything but the kitchen
sink is created and available for download to satisfy
more people's wishes and requests.

Regards,

Antonio