[Fedora-livecd-list] Good download and burn but unsuccessful boot

Walt Haas haas at xmission.com
Fri Jan 26 17:49:27 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I downloaded the FC 6 live CD ISO from the official Red Hat download
directory and verified the sha1sum.  Then I burned the ISO to a CD using
cdrecord, which had no complaints about the burn.  However when I boot
from this CD, the boot process gets through uncompressing the kernel
then says something to the effect that /dev/root does not exist, I need
to create a symlink and it drops me into a shell.  And sure
enough, /dev/root does not exist.

The hardware is a pretty plain vanilla old Pentium with half a gig of
ram, parallel IDE and a couple of Adaptec SCSI cards, and the Pioneer
DVD burner that the CD is booted from (which is connected as IDE
secondary master).  I've never had a problem booting Knoppix 5 on this
machine.  Fedora Core 6 boots from the IDE primary master hard drive
with only one complaint, something about incorrect PBLK length [5] on
ACPI(?), but then goes on to boot and run successfully.  When run from
the hard drive, FC 6 /dev/root is a character special device not a
symlink.

Whazzup?

Thanks in advance  -- Walt