[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd install usage case, was Re: How to compile c programs in fedora 7 KDE?

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 19:02:45 UTC 2007

--- Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> >
> > It doesn't really matter why he wants it, he can create a LiveCD or
> DVD
> > himself using the livecd-tools kickstart files and the package
> > customization stage in Revisor:
>
> Sure he can but it is does matter why some things are being done and
> it
> is useful to understand what users are doing to see if there is
> anything
> that can be made easier.

In that vein, here is a usage case that I think might be common-

It seems to me there should be an easy way to upgrade the official
livecd installs to the official/traditional install classes.  I.e.

yum groupinstall Workstation (or Server or KDE-Workstation, etc...)

And of course find some way to expose this nicely to the user.

Maybe it already exists, or just works as above.  The example that
comes to my mind was working from a livecd installed system, and
wondering what I had to do to get "man 2 socket" to work.  It took me
longer than I had hoped to figure out I needed to do "yum install
man-pages" (despite how obvious that sounds).  When really all I wanted
to express to my system was "I used the livecd to install because
livecd's are cool, but now that I don't have any storage space
limitations, I just want my system to be 'normal'".

-dmc/jdog