[Fedora-livecd-list] [RFC/PATCH] livecd rebootless installer

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Jul 8 08:34:56 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:

> Theoretical Workaround #4
> -------------------------
>
> Understand the device mapper mirror target, which lacks
> Documentation/device-mapper/mirror.txt

Theoretical Workaround #5
-------------------------

Use a linear device mapper device for the sysroot.  Initially it will be
composed of the /dev/md7 as par the patch, and a 1.5TB dm-zero device.
Then migrate the /dev/md7 from live-rw to /dev/sda1(partial).  Then free
live-rw components.  Then reload the tables so that the sysroot dm device
consists of /dev/md7(which is a single partial sda1 usage), + /dev/sda1(the rest
of it) + dm-zero (up to 1.5T).  Then resize2fs should work and everything is
exactly right...  Hmm...  I'll have to try that tomorrow...

(this is because I just noticed someone say that you can play around with the dm
tables of an active device.  We'll see if I'm allowed to use /dev/sda(1) in two
places at once (with or without possibly adding yet another layer of abstraction
in there somewhere.  And of course, hoping that the mdadm grow problem is just a
bug that can be fixed, is still the first preference)

-dmc/jdog