[Fedora-livecd-list] [RFC/PATCH] livecd rebootless installer

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Jul 8 22:27:31 UTC 2007

Tim Wood wrote:
>> Continuing this thought- if MarkMC's dm-snapshot-merging patch was in the
>> kernel, there could be a button in the live session, such that at any
>> point
>> _long after_ the installation, the user could _opt_ to 'fold in' their
>> live-session modification.  (i.e. hitting the button triggers a
>> dm-snapshot-merge of the tmpfs overlay into the
>> install-destination-drive).
>
> Hmmm... I'm going to play devil's advocate.  The standard linux boot
> process --at least with Redhat, CentOS and SUSE-- is for a minimal Kernel
> to start that can just do enough to mount a real filesystem and load the
> real kernel.  It then hands over control to the real kernel and dies.
> Until this post I was assuming --silly me :-)-- that this discussion was
> about something similar.  Since the cluebat didn't get me on this one, can
> someone explain the difference?

Actually, what you are describing is the process of booting a
_hibernated/suspended_ linux system.  Which is really quite orthogonal to
everything I have been discussing.  (he says with fingers crossed wondering how
a rebootlessly installed system will handle hibernating (before itss first
reboot)... I think my brain will explode if I try to think about that before
just seeing if it works without a problem)

-dmc/jdog