[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- improving livecd installer efficiency

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Jul 12 09:47:17 UTC 2007

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 14:50 -0500, Douglas McClendon wrote:
>
>> The main downside I think it has as a solution to the issue, is that it doesn't
>> fix the case of a destination volume of say 3.0G.  I.e. there is no reason why
>> the livecd installer shouldn't be able to install it's 2.3G payload onto a 3.0G
>> destination.
>
> 	I thought that was already covered with a resize2fs ?

If you mean already as in 'exists in the f7livecd' then the answer is no.  The
resize2fs that the f7livecd anaconda does is _after_ the fs image copy, and thus
only effective for expansion, not shrink.

the f7livecd anaconda installer will red-error-of-death you if you try to
install to a 3G destination volume.

>> The most recent solution I was proposing, involved taking a second snapshot of
>> the 4.0G (or perhaps now 1T) sparse ext3 os.img file, and resize2fs-ing it down
>> to minimal, and then copying it.
>
> 	This sounds like a way of doing the same thing as e2cp ... by resizing
> it down to its minimal size, you'd be removing all unallocated data
> blocks and so e2cp would have nothing to ignore.
>
> 	So, they're different solutions to the "let's not copy unallocated
> blocks" problem.
>
> 	Not sure why a snapshot is needed ...

Because you haven't yet added in-flight-resize2fs support to e2cp.

But if you don't care about fixing the 2.4G->3.9G destination volume problem,
then e2cp is sufficient.

-dmc