[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- 'persistance' is on LiveCD wishlist - what does it mean?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 00:34:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:22:49 +0200
Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 23:30 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> >> The second just wants USB media like the LiveCD but with a real RW
> >> filesystem.
> >
> > I think that for this, you should just install to the USB stick.
> > That should work these days and if it doesn't, then we should just
> > fix it rather than papering over by allowing something like this.
> >

> Right. Mind that it's not me who created the wish-list, I think it was
> David in the early days after FUDCon in Boston.
>
> The second (USB sticks) seems far more important to me then the
> stateless-but-persistent one.

USB sticks play a big part in the first and really are in a lot of ways
the more interesting case especially if you then do the second step of
having an encrypted home dir setup. I ran with the second half of this
while waiting on a replacement drive for my laptop; with work to make
it easy to setup and to fix the weirdnesses (of which lack of
persistence was the biggest as I had to keep reinstalling the packages
I had forgotten in my config), this could be really compelling to use
on a regular basis

Jeremy