[Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- 'persistance' is on LiveCD wishlist - what does it mean?

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Thu Jul 19 03:11:53 UTC 2007

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>>> On the other hand, why not compose the live cd or dvd with all that
>>> rightaway?
>> The point of persistence is to have a nice fat distro on a cute 3" dvd,
>> combined with a nice cute 1G usb stick, and be able to use the
>> combination, as a physically portable linux system.
>>
>> The persistent usb holds _your home directory_.  Do you want to be
>> recomposing your livedvd _during every boot in which the contents of
>> your home directory change_ ?
>>

> For the portable Linux system use case, I'd take a larger USB stick or a
> USB hard drive and run from there.

Your preferred use case is certainly as valid or even moreso than the one I
presented.  But having both options seems ideal.  Also, there may be an issue
with usbflash data, and that in some instances it might be better to have it be
mostly preburned as squashfs, rather than treated as a normal ext3fs.  I.e. the
whole jffs2 thing.

Personally I rather like the idea of having my personal core system on read-only
media, with just my homedir on flash.

Admittedly, flash and portable disks will no doubt get cheaper and cheaper, but
its still kind of nice to have the mass quanity of data preburned on
cd/dvd/bluray...

-peace...

-dmc