Fwd: [Fedora-livecd-list] RFC- 'persistance' is on LiveCD wishlist - what does it mean?

Jon Steer jsteer at bitscout.com
Thu Jul 19 20:37:18 UTC 2007

I have used a livecd distro called devil-linux for some time.  They
have a "save-config-to-disk"  that saves much of /etc and /var to
disk.

When the distro boots up, it looks for a tar file to unwrap all of
/etc and /var from.

If you add /home to the list of directories that are save, it works for me.

jon

On 7/19/07, Douglas McClendon <dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org> wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> > Douglas McClendon wrote:
> >> Your preferred use case is certainly as valid or even moreso than the
> >> one I presented.  But having both options seems ideal.  Also, there may
> >> be an issue with usbflash data, and that in some instances it might be
> >> better to have it be mostly preburned as squashfs, rather than treated
> >> as a normal ext3fs.  I.e. the whole jffs2 thing.
> >>

> > Well, I'm not against anything here, I'm sorry if it looked that way. It
> > just doesn't look like it's worth the effort to me personally.
>
> Which is why I'm the one implementing it ;)
>

> >> Personally I rather like the idea of having my personal core system on
> >> read-only media, with just my homedir on flash.
> >>

> > Right, that makes sense. A home directory from flash would be nice, but
> > it wouldn't be really 'system persistence' would it? yum install foo and
> > yum remove bar will not have foo and will have bar after a reboot, right?
> Actually, what I said was a bit confusing, and made it sound more like I was
> going in the direction of what Don Vogt was saying that CentOS5-livecd did.  In
> truth I really just meant doing the rootfs snapshot overlay as persistence, for
> as you say full 'system persistence', just that in practice, the majority of it
> would be used for my homedir.
>
> OTOH, this is another situation of where I can see it possibly being useful
> implementing both strategies, i.e. you can have the rootfs overlay on your
> usbstick, and/or a specially named .tgz which will get automatically untarred to
> / upon boot if it exists.
>
> I think I ought to be able to implement both by monday before the devel
> freeze...  (he says ambitiously :)  I'm in the process of attempting to follow
> the fedora8 feature proposal policy.  Right now I'm stuck at figuring out how to
> make my first fedoraforum wiki page with the account I created last night.
> (whenever I click the link 'create new page' it throws up an error saying 'you
> are not allowed to edit this page'.  This is after logging on, on _my_ empty
> user-homepage)
>
> -dmc
>

> --

"Whereever you go, there you are"