[Fedora-livecd-list] minor turboLiveInst notes

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Jul 27 22:08:52 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:

> And with that, I'm out for the next week.  dmg -- I'll look some more at
> the turboinst stuff when I get back.  I also want to try to get the
> persistence and other arch bits in pretty soon then.

Cool.  I'll now be working exclusively on persistence, and hope to have
something decent ready by the time you get back.

A couple minor notes on turbo-liveinst, which I strongly encourage you to ignore
while off the clock-

1) to understand the code, look at the patches in the order that events happen.
  I.e. livecd-creator -> mayflower -> liveinst.sh -> livecd.py (and
isotostick.sh is orthogonal)

2) obviously I typo-swapped the performance numbers on cdrom install with/out
turbo-liveinst.  I.e. the 250s is _with_ turbo, and the 299s, is _without_.

3) the weird dd padding of 512 zero bytes to osmin.tgz is because I discovered
loop devices ignore the last N mod 512 bytes of files of size N bytes.  Probably
would be better to do this in livecd-creator than in mayflower-init.

4) it might be more technically accurate to rm the osmin.tgz after losetup-ing
it, so that if you ever remove the loop device, that the 25kb gets freed (?).

5) the time impact on livecd-creation is negligible.  Because cleanupDeleted has
already basically packed all the data into the front of the sparse file,
resizing it back to that size happens very quickly.

-dmc