[Fedora-livecd-list] Live USB converter script

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 21:26:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 17:24 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 16:33 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > When thinking about what we want for booting a live image with a USB
> > stick, I realized that realistically, we don't want to be distributing a
> > "live USB" image.  Because that requires running dd and destroying
> > whatever data you already happen to have on your USB stick.
> >
> > A better choice is to take the live CD image and copy the bits from it
> > to your USB stick.  The result is the attached script.  Run it with
> > arguments of the live CD iso image and the device of your USB key and it
> > copies over the bits of the live CD onto your USB stick and makes it
> > bootable.  Supported filesystems for your USB stick are vfat/msdos and
> > ext23.
> >
> > What do people think?  It seems to work from some quick testing and it's
> > impressive just how much faster it is going from a USB stick.
>
> I think this is a pretty awesome idea; we would just include it in the
> livecd-tools RPM and call it 'livecd-iso-to-stick'? Then we can always
> rewrite this in Python including teaching it about D-Bus system bus
> activation so we can write a nice little UI that runs unprivileged.

Yeah.  Rewriting in python might be a bit overkill, though given the
(lack of) complexity here.  Neither here nor there for now, though.
I'll go ahead and commit this and make it so that we get it installed
and build a livecd-tools-004 to be available roughly with test3 so that
people can grab the test3 live CD and play with it.

Jeremy