[Fedora-livecd-list] uncooked food for thought

Jane Dogalt jdogalt at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 10:32:37 UTC 2007

Just thought I should should mention...  That I've finally put most of the
stuff I've been working on forever online.

This is absolutely a broken work-in-progress release, and not yet the drop in
functional replacement for livecd-tools that it will become (soon...).

http://filteredperception.org/smiley/projects/viros/releases

The interesting things it has (but again, in no way even a respectable
development release), are-

* a livecd generation mechanism that runs without root privileges, utilizing
qemu

* a tool 'smirfgen' which is like mayflower, but much more flexible

* a live.init which is like the one embedded in mayflower, but much more
flexible.

* a tool qfakeroot, which is in the spirit of fakeroot, but can do even more
stuff, such as trivially convert a tarball into an ext3 filesystem image,
without root priveleges.

Again, I don't expect this to be useful for anyone.  But since I've alluded to
it about half a million times over the past couple years on this list, I
figured I'd mention the code availability.

In the near future, perhaps before I clean it up to work as a drop in
(no-root-privs-required) replacement for livecd-tools, I will try to release a
version that can at least trivially modify the official f8-livecd iso image to
support liveusb-persistence (again, without requireing root privs, via the
coolness that is qfakeroot(&smirfgen).

For now, perhaps the most interesting thing to look over, would be how I
rewrote the init (tools/ZyX-Live-OS/live.init).  And then perhaps look at how I
abstracted what mayflower does, into smirfgen, and the
tools/ZyX-Live-OS/smirfgen.cfg.  And then after that, realize that how those
things make qfakeroot possible.  And then imagine how qfakeroot could be used
to remove all root-priv requirements from the entire fedora recompile process.

peace...

-jdog

P.S.- for the love of democracy, help get Cheney impeached.  I'd gladly trade a
life in paradise for one of poverty if it meant that future generations would
not inherit a world where Bill Clinton *WAS* impeached, and Dick Cheney
*WASN'T*.