[Fedora-livecd-list] Livecd doesn't boot ... in my case it reports a bad MBR

Tim Wood tim.wood at datawranglers.com
Tue Oct 2 03:35:26 UTC 2007

Strange timing.  I've got a linux machine (running under vmware)
that's dedicated to livecd's.  I've been working on a livecd project
around other things.  I created several LiveCDs a day successfully
over the last few weeks.  Then, starting sometime yesterday, every
one causes vmware to report a bad MBR when I try to boot them.  It
may or may not be related to Chitlesh's problem...

I'll call the machine I"m using to create the LiveCDs 'dev'.  Here's
what I've been able to locate that seems remotely relevant.

dev runs fedora 7 and is set to automatically update with the latest
patches (i.e. yum may have gone and installed an update yesterday
that caused the problem)
SE Linux is off on dev

/var/log/messages on dev:
* "... localhost kernel: SELinux: Disabled at runtime."
* Just before the install: "localhost kernel: CIFS VFS: Send error in
SETFSUnixInfo = -5" may not be relevant but the kickstarts are on a
mounted samba share
* in the middle of installing packages reports "... localhost init:
Trying to re-exec init"

/var/log/yum.log on dev
* nothing in the last several weeks

/var/log/revisor.log on dev
* mirrors the messages that /srv/revisor and /var/tmp/revisor already
exist

When I'm building the livecd's, I'm manually unchecking the SELinux
checkbox at the appropriate screen.

FWIW... being the stodgy type I am, I'm trying to wait for FC8 to hit
release before switching.  Revisor under 7 (2.041) has issues but I
know what they are and how to work with them.

I've tried this roughly four times with identical results.  To make
sure that I didn't forget to do it, I've just restarted dev and
manually deleted /var/tmp/revisor* and /srv/revsior*.   I'm re-
running a build to see what happens.  Assuming that doesn't solve
things, any suggestions on running this down?

Tim