[Fedora-livecd-list] ARRRG

Tim Wood tim.wood at datawranglers.com
Thu Oct 4 06:30:26 UTC 2007

Douglas, I'm going to stirfry your email in responding

> While nothing I'm about to say helps you now, here is a reiteration
> of my theoretical QA plan to mitigate similar problems in the future-
>
> A) install livecd-tools and revisor by default in a standard spin.
> developer spin seems like the right place.  I don't think either
> will bring in many new dependencies, i.e. take up signifcant space.
>
> B) have a dedicated QA server spinning up daily spins of (A).
> These QA spins would be served via bittorrent.  This server would
> be f7(stable) pulling in updates via yum daily.  After being
> created, these spins would be booted under headless qemu,
> displaying to a vnc recorded session.  These boot-videos would be
> available via bittorrent as well, as well as basic boot-speed
> timing analysis, and logfiles from the boot.
>
> C) have another server like (B), except which is a rawhide, updated
> daily system, running git livecd-tools, doing exactly the same thing.

I'm using vmware in places of qemu.  Since I only have two physical
machines to use for everything, I have one virtual machine that
handles just development of LiveCDs with Revisor and a second that's
used for testing.  The nice thing is that if an RPM ever does blow up
my LiveCD creation machine, building another one (if I can ever
figure out how to get one that stays working) doesn't take much
time.  Of course that LiveCD with Revisor on it that I asked about a
week ago would make things very cool.

Starting in the middle of the process, what I do is:
* boot the last livecd image
* based on what I find in testing, adjust the kickstart file and my
custom rpm.  I'll continue the testing/tweaking project until I've
made enough changes that there's a significant divergance between the
original and the next rev
* create another livecd
* wash rinse repeat

> FWIW, I haven't noticed any similar problems lately, but I use
> livecd-creator, and not revisor, which apparently utilizes a
> significantly forked version of livecd-creator.
[snip]
> Certainly F8 doesn't exist yet, so one must not have the
> expectation that it can be used for a stable development system.

Revisor blows up randomly.  When it blows up it takes far too long to
get a system that works.  It usually entails creating a kickstart all
over again to get one that creates LiveCDs.  Each rev seems to bring
new quirks such as buttons that do nothing but blow up Revisor.
Fedora 8 is currently in Beta 2; usually a stage where a major button
causes everything to blow up.

As far as livecd-creator... after I posted my email I realized that
if no one has any ideas after three days on the MBR problem, they're
probably not going to have suggestions on a broader question like how
to make Revisor work on an ongoing basis in a reasonable amount of
time.  If I'm going to have a shot at getting this put to bed before
my next big paying project comes in (and causes me to shelf this for
somewhere between 2 months and the end of time), I'm going to have to
switch to another way of getting there.  Strangely... google had just
gotten me backed into livecd-creator when your email popped in.  I'm
going to try that.  If I ever get around to creating that LiveCD for
mastering LiveCDs, it'll probably be livecd-creator.

Tim