[Fedora-livecd-list] Trimming the size of LiveCD's

Jon Steer jsteer at bitscout.com
Sat Sep 1 17:18:58 UTC 2007

I'd be interested in the "-" lines that you use to strip the files out.

As the generator of a console-based server distribution I am
interested in losing as many extraneous packages as possible.

For me, stripping down the size of the ISO has more to do with space
considerations for either USB-based distributions or when I'm booting
the LiveCD into a VM and I'd like to save real memory space.

jon

On 8/31/07, Patrice Guay <patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca> wrote:
> Douglas McClendon a écrit :
> > Matthias Clasen wrote:

> >> As long as you are willing to ignore the rpm verification issue that
> >> gets raised every time this is mentioned (or go with Douglas'
> >> fixup-script approach),
> >
> > Also, it occurred to me that the more complete solution to the rpm
> > verification issue would be to have a (signed?) list of files that are
> > expected to be missing.  Then with either a wrapper, or a minor mod to
> > rpm, you could have just as complete verification.
> >
> > Then, the solution to the inefficient fixup problem (downloading whole
> > rpms just to get the small missing files), if one were serious about
> > it, you could obviously for every shipped livecd, create a single
> > signed package of just the missing files.
> >

> If this package is shipped as a RPM, conflict may arise with the
> original RPM about file ownership.
>
> >> dropping language support is certainly going to give you just as much
> >> if not
> >> more space savings. I recently added %lang tags to most of the big
> >> gnome help
> >> documents in /usr/share/gnome/help. Also, dropping CJK fonts easily
> >> saves some 40M.
> On my current live CD release, I strip rarely used documentation files
> (changelog, news, non-englist html files). This saves 7MB on the
> resulting Live CD. I also remove language files and it saves 95MB of
> compressed space.
>
> --
> Patrice
>
> --