[Fedora-livecd-list] Live CD vs virtual appliance

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Fri Sep 14 21:35:55 UTC 2007

Patrice Guay wrote:
> This week, I attended the VMware conference in San Francisco (VMWorld
> 2007). I attended several conferences and a lab related to virtual
> appliances (http://www.vmware.com/appliances/). These are virtual
> machines containing the OS and whatever software you may want to bundle
> on top of it.
>
> Due to licensing issues, almost nobody uses Microsoft Windows as the
> base for their virtual appliance. Microsoft ties its license to the
> hardware. This means that a license for the Microsoft OS must be
> purchased for every physical machine where the virtual appliance may be
> used. The license can not be bundled with the virtual appliance.
>
> VMware has developed tools to create Linux-based virtual appliances.
> They use a stripped down version of Ubuntu as the base OS. From what I
> saw, livecd-tools offers a simpler and more powerful approach to create
> an OS + application bundle. The virtual appliance creation involves
> several steps and configuration files. Using livecd-creator, only one
> configuration file is involved and only one command line is required to
> create the iso image.
>
> The only advantage of virtual appliances is persistence. If this could
> be solved for livecd-tools, I foresee an increased interest from those
> planning to create virtual appliances for the livecd-tools project.

Setting asside the persistence patch I'm working on, how about an
optional bootarg of rebootless_liveos_installer=go_for_it, which could
be a default isolinux menu entry ala how run-from-ram used to be.  (or
just _the_ default if you choose to spin it that way)

Where the arg merely automatically invokes a rebootless installer

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-September/msg01042.html

Thus if you boot qemu(or vmware or whatever) with the "appliance master
livecd" attached as cdrom, and a fresh virtual disk as hard drive, you
get your newly provisioned persistent appliance.

$0.02...

(I'm sure some sort of cobbler+koan+revisor can probably do the same
thing in a different way.  We're all headed in vaguely the same direction)

-dmc