[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd-creator problems/questions

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Sep 16 23:25:43 UTC 2007

Chris Hubick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having some problems with livecd-creator...

I'll answer what I can-

> I am running from a Fedora 7.91 Desktop Live CD, and attempting to use a
> kickstart file to generate a custom LiveCD (DVD) onto my USB hard drive:
>
> cd /media/CHWData/chwlive/
> mkdir tmp
> livecd-creator --config=/media/CHWData/chwlive/chwlive.ks --fslabel=CHWLive --tmpdir=/media/CHWData/chwlive/tmp
>
> 1) Note that if the path to the tmpdir is too long, /sbin/losetup -a will
> truncate the path in it's output, and livecd-creator will fail (after
> tweaking, mine above is *just* short enough).

Interesting bug.  It'll get fixed soon (answer is to rewrite the code so
that it uses the output of losetup -f to determine the loop device to
use before setting it up, rather than setting it up and then using
losetup -a to figure out which one it automatically used.).

> 2) I want a pure x86_64 system with no multilib.  It took me some time to
> figure out to include --exclude=*.i?86 on the repo line in my kickstart
> file.  Is that the best way to do this?

I'm a 32bit luddite/cheapskate, can't help with this one.

> 3) Is there any way to find out the final list of packages for a kickstart
> file after dependency resolution against a given set of repositories?

I've got a use for this, so I'm hoping someone else answers.  I vaguely
recall past threads that might be related to this.

> I keep tweaking my kickstart file to get things to fit within the required
> size, but somehow I mistakenly add a package with a million dependencies
> I didn't know about, and livecd-creator then goes to download them all.
> It would be nice if there were an option, or separate tool, to print a
> list of packages for approval first, or at least a summary and size?

This isn't exactly what you want, but here is a tool I use after a test
spin, to determine what I want to remove for the next spin-

http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-livecd-list@redhat.com/msg00085.html

> 4) How do I build a LiveCD based on a specific (stableish) test release
> (7.91)?  Given two repos:
>
> repo --exclude=*.i?86 --name=f8t2 --baseurl=http://fedora.mirror.iweb.ca/development/x86_64/os/
> repo --exclude=*.i?86 --name=f8t2 --baseurl=http://fedora.mirror.iweb.ca/releases/test/7.91/Fedora/x86_64/os/
>
> The first one will work, but the second will fail, because the release
> folder doesn't contain all the same packages (ie, rdesktop) (why)?
 >
> 5) /usr/share/livecd-tools/livecd-fedora-desktop.ks has a directive:
> %include livecd-fedora-base-desktop.ks
>
> Where is that include file located?  With the Fedora 7 setup examples,
> everything is in the one kickstart file, and easy to reference, but I have
> no idea how to find that information now?

Should be in /usr/share/livecd-tools/ as well.  The change is that now
inheritance/nested-kickstart-parsing is used.  I've been meaning to try
writing a hello world tool with pykickstart that will read a nested
kickstart and output an un-nested kickstart...

> 6) How do I customize what user is created, auto-login, etc?  That used to
> be in the bottom of the kickstart as well, but is gone now?

This is directly related to the previous question.  If you find the
livecd-fedora-base-desktop.ks you should find what you were familiar with.

Hopefully other people can address the rest.

Good luck...

-dmc