[Fedora-livecd-list] related to 6/7, mayflower loop device cleanup proposal

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Mon Sep 17 18:55:56 UTC 2007

Jeremy,

Now that you're into the guts of genMinInstDelta (patch 6/7), maybe this
topic is very timely-

I've recently (like finished this morning) done a personal rewrite of
the functionality of mayflower.  Setting asside why I did that, here is
a proposal/notation relating that 6/7 patch.

All those hard coded (117/118/119/120/121) loop devices used are very ugly.

Probably they should get replaced with dynamic choices via losetup -f,
as my recent livecd-creator patch did (though it was already using
dynamic via losetup -a prior, different issue).

I think I can put together a patch that does this.  Will probably even
look pretty slick, as they info would get conveyed via udev rules
dynamically generated in mayflower-init (just like existing loop120 and
loop121 rules, but based on dynamic rather than hard-coded loop devices).

The other thing, is I seemed to notice that, at least for my test cases,
the mknod-s of the /dev/loop??? devices in the mayflower-initramfs seem
unnecessary, as udev seems to create them just fine.  Anybody (david?
jeremy?) know of why they are perhaps needed?

I know you mentioned Jeremy, about merging mayflower into mkinitrd.  In
fact, that is one reason why I did the rewrite, as I need for it to
remain runnable as non-root.  You should probably get mkinitrd that way
too, but...?  But my point is that it's still probably good to do these
cleanups to mayflower, as they will make the merge into mkinitrd that
much easier/better.

Just an idea...  And I will post that rewrite soon enough, in case other
parts of it are useful idea fodder...

-dmc