[Fedora-livecd-list] Is automounting of LVM volumes by a livecd dangerous?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 19:56:59 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I have asked the following question on fedora-list at redhat.com.

But then it clicked to me that I should have directed the question here on livecd list.

Is automounting of LVM volumes by a livecd dangerous?

http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-list@redhat.com/msg09393.html

<quote that I sent>
I have a question regarding the automounting of LVM volumes like it is the
default Fedora installation.  Is there any way that it is harmful when done from a linux live cd?

For instance in Slax, Tomas Matejicek, the creator of slax has been encouraged by me and others to implement it in Slax.  I believe it is an excellent idea.  I was wondering if there are any downnsides to having this done in this livecd  or any livecd for that matter.

Thank you in advance for your input regarding this matter.
</quote>

I have my own customized Fedora Live CD with TeXLive created by livecd tools.  But I also use Slax Linux Live CD and I like it very much.  I know in advance that Fedora Live CD's do not automount partitions nor activate swap.  While on the other hand, Slax automounts partitions if it can except LVM like default Fedora installations.

Here's Slax Forum thread in case it is relevant to the discussion.
http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=view&parentID=17340

Are there any dangers with respect to automounting LVM volumes by default?

Thank you in advanced,

Antonio