[Fedora-livecd-list] Is it possible to have an updatable system on a usb stick?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 13:43:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 08:34 -0400, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > This has not been my experience. I was actually able to update the
> > kernel without problem but several other packages have caused
> > problems, most notably udev which had an issue during reboot with an
> > error about loading the 50-udev-default.rules.
>
> This got filed relatively recently and fixed up.  For F9-based images,
> though, you'll have to do a workaround of removing
> the /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules.rpm* (or at least, move them
> out of the way)

I did rename it but forgot that the * gets it anyway...

> > I've also had problems with updating xorg. X tried and failed to load,
> > but instead of only trying 3 times it went into an infinite loop.
>
> That sounds like something more general and not live image specific.
> It'd be worth getting a ctrl-alt-delete in there to reboot and then boot
> into runlevel 3 so you could grab some logs to file against X

I'll do that. I remember one of the errors I saw while it flashed by was
something about AIGLX.

> > Also, after reading a previous post on this list, I would keep updates
> > to only things you care about since the overlay file records block
> > changes and you will eventually run out of overlay.
>
> This is the case and unfortunately, with things currently in the kernel,
> I don't really see any way around it.  Modulo writing some tool to
> (likely offline) analyze and rewrite the snapshot file.  But relatively
> deep dark voodoo required to write such a tool
>
> Jeremy

I don't know if this would be easier, but what about a tool that would
incorporate the changes back into the image file and then re-zero the
overlay?

Richard