[Fedora-livecd-list] Is it possible to have an updatable system on a usb stick?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 22:06:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Monday 04 August 2008 21:20:18 Richard Shaw wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Anne Wilson
> <cannewilson at googlemail.com>wrote:
> > >
> > > them

> it

> > > I now have the exact messages in front of me:
> > >
> > > usb 2-1: device not accepting address 2, error -71
> > > sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
> > > sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
> > > /init: line 478: /sysroot/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev*: ambiguous redirect
> > > Bug in initramfs /init detected. Dropping to a shell.  Good luck!
> > >
> > > (by which I guess it means I'll need it :-) )
> > >
> > > The prompt says
> > > bash-3.2#
> > >
> > > and doesn't recognise commands.
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Go into /etc/udev/rules.d/ and delete the extra file with the rpmsave or
> > rpmnew.
> >
> > Richard
>
> I can't Richard.  It doesn't recognise any commands, and the file system
> isn't
> accessible if I boot from the hard drive.
>
> Anne

You'll have to rezero your overlay file and start over then... You can do it
manually from a windows or linux box but the dd command is a little
different for each. On a linux box it's something like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mount/path/LiveOS/overlay-{LABEL}-{UUID} bs=1M
count={size of overlay in MB}

Or on windows (the dd.exe is located under tools in the liveusb-creator
directory)

dd.exe if=/dev/zero of={drive letter}:\LiveOS\overlay-{LABEL}-{UUID} bs=1M
count={size of overlay in MB}

Just look at the current name of your overlay file and overwrite it rather
than looking up the LABEL and UUID.

I, like others, have created an extra entry in my syslinx.cfg without the
overlay option just in case I hose my overlay file and still want to be able
to use it.

Richard