[Fedora-livecd-list] persistence and "install to harddrive"

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Tue Aug 5 04:15:04 UTC 2008

Jerry Vonau wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> Jerry Vonau wrote:
>>> Now the real question, what would be the best way to have anaconda
>>> pickup the persistent overlay for the "install to hard-drive" part.
>>

>> Sure.  Why not go hog wild and just install rebootlessly too while you
>> are at it :)
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2007-July/msg00768.html
>>
>> -dmc
>
> That is where I'm heading ;-) That one has been bookmarked and on my to
> try list for a while.

Ooh, an interested party.  I'm pretty close to releasing an update of
that proof of concept based on fedora9.  Unfortunately lately I've
discovered how much work cuts into my free time.

To try and backtrack to my grand plans of old, I think I had it mentally
figured out that what was needed beyond pointing anaconda at the real
live image, and then doing the raid1 mirror migration that that script
does, would be to have the rest of anaconda then act against the real
rootfs, instead of a chroot into the new sysimage.  I.e. when it goes
and sets the time and adds a user and whatnot.

Mainly that script, and newer versions* are pretty ghetto, and basically
just install to a specified partition, and then leave it to the user to
undo the live-style configuration of the live system, and then manually
do the non-live-style configuration that anaconda prompts and takes care of.

*- the notes in that version about painful extra steps needed to work
against a stock f7/f8 livecd are actually out of date.  It turns out
it's pretty trivial to port that script and have it work on an
unmodified f7/f8/f9 livecd.  I.e. my dm-voodoo-skills have increased
since then.

-dmc