[Fedora-livecd-list] live fedora 8 cd - login: no shell: Permission denied

ltx ltx at charter.net
Sun Feb 3 01:03:14 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to build a basic Fedora 8 livecd to use as
a vehicle to flash a card I am working on.  The flash
utility works from linux running from the hard drive
so that is not a concern at the moment.

My problem - I can't log in!  The iso builds fine with
command;

livecd-creator --config=./livecd-fedora-minimal.ks --fslabel=Fedora8

When I boot from it, or use qemu to test, I can't log into root
or another id that I create in the kiskstart file. I followed
the instructions at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/LiveCDHowTo
which are great, but they even point out that the livecd-fedora-minimal.ks
kickstart file found in /usr/share/livecd-tools will not let you log in.
(unless you go to all full desktop environment - which I don't need/want)

I noticed that the minimal kickstart file disabled the root id,
so I removed that and scoured the net and found that kickstart command
rootpw allows you to set the root password.   That gave me some
progress.   Now when I try to log in to root I get these messages;

Last login: time date...
Welcome to my world           (this is what I put in /etc/motd)
login: no shell: Permission denied.

So, several questions:

1 - What is wrong with my kickstart file (below) that prevents
     me from logging in?

2 - Is there any collections of kickstart files available (other than
     those that come with the livecd-tools packages?

3 - Where can I find the kickstart file options documented?

Oh, my build environment is Fedora 8 (x86_64) with all the latest
updates.  I point to the x86 mirrors so I can use the CD on older
machines.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks.
Jerry

lang en_US.UTF-8
keyboard us
timezone US/Eastern
#auth --useshadow --enablemd5
selinux --disabled
firewall --disabled
firstboot --disable
#root password
rootpw emulex
part / --size 1024

repo --name=released --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386
repo --name=updates  --mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=updates-released-f8&arch=i386

%packages
@core
bash
kernel
passwd
policycoreutils
chkconfig
authconfig
rootfiles

%post
# FIXME: it'd be better to get this installed from a package
cat > /etc/rc.d/init.d/fedora-live << EOF
#!/bin/bash
#
# live: Init script for live image
#
# chkconfig: 345 00 99

. /etc/init.d/functions

if ! strstr "\`cat /proc/cmdline\`" liveimg || [ "\$1" != "start" ] || [ -e /.liveimg-configured ] ; then
     exit 0
fi

exists() {
     which \$1 >/dev/null 2>&1 || return
     \$*
}

touch /.liveimg-configured

# mount live image
if [ -b /dev/live ]; then
    mkdir -p /mnt/live
    mount -o ro /dev/live /mnt/live
fi

# add a user
useradd -c "Jerry" jerry
echo 'password' | passwd --stdin jerry

# read some variables out of /proc/cmdline
for o in \`cat /proc/cmdline\` ; do
     case \$o in
     ks=*)
         ks="\${o#ks=}"
         ;;
     xdriver=*)
         xdriver="--set-driver=\${o#xdriver=}"
         ;;
     esac
done

# Stopgap fix for RH #217966; should be fixed in HAL instead
touch /media/.hal-mtab
EOF

chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/init.d/fedora-live
#/sbin/restorecon /etc/rc.d/init.d/fedora-live
/sbin/chkconfig --add fedora-live

echo "Welcome to my world" > /etc/motd

%end