[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: Virt-p2v live CD, comments and packaging

Tim Wood tim.wood at datawranglers.com
Tue Feb 5 00:37:41 UTC 2008

As a not-quite-counter argument, I've found that if each change is small
(e.g. three sed commands to tweak a config), a longer kickstart can make
a lot of sense.  Beyond short stuff, I will agree completely with
Jeremy.  RPMs are not too hard to pull off if you have a little patience
on the first one.  Guru labs has a nice tutorial you can google (the
examples are google-able, too ... they just arn't in the same place)

On embedding stuff in the kickstart, one suggestion.  Use some sort of
really really obvious delimiter and extra white space between each chunk
(see the example below).  I've got a kickstart that tweaks a bunch of
odds & ends in %post and this approached has saved my sanity and made
maintenance and improvement much easier.

Tim Wood

##############################
#
# tweak the config for foo

[some lines]

##############################
#
# copy the files for bar

[some lines]

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 19:05 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
>> I'm posting here to see if anyone has any comments about the way I did
>> this live CD.  The kickstart script uses a rather complex %post section,
>> which adds a few files to the filesystem, instead of building RPMs or
>> modifying existing RPMs.
>>

> >From a maintainability point of view, you're going to be happier in the
> long run if you actually package up things into RPMs as opposed to just
> concatenating piles of scripts.  I've already gotten pretty frustrated
> with just the initscript we're using in the desktop case on a few
> occasions.
>

>> I've also investigated how to attach stuff to the end of the ISO image,
>> and the way I've come up with allows me to update an ISO with a new
>> script quite easily, and much more quickly than waiting for
>> livecd-creator to rerun.  This great (a) for rapid development and (b)
>> to send new updates to users without forcing them to download another
>> 170 MB ISO.
>>

> Ewwww :)
>
> Jeremy
>
> --

Tim Wood, CLP, RHCT
719.338.7484 (tel)

The Data Wranglers
Web, Database & more since    since 1994
www.datawranglers.com