[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: Review? LiveUSB persistence

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 01:55:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 18:51 -0600, Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Outside of those changes, everything looks pretty straight-forward and
> > reasonable.  We'll want a little more error checking in
> > livecd-iso-to-disk and it might also be nice to have another tool that
> > lets you create your usb stick to use with the actual cd form (I did
> > this by hand and it was pretty nice that I could easily get it
> > working!).
>
> I didn't really slow down and read this bit at first-  So you actually
> used the livecd+usb form?  I probably tried that once when I first wrote
> the code, but haven't even considered it since then.  I guess you must
> have by hand added something like overlay=UUID=bla to the kernel
> cmdline.  Of course the original incarnation of the patch supported the
> syntax overlay=auto which would scan all drives.  But that code scares
> my responsibility-averse nature, and I was happy to remove it when
> focusing on the liveusb case.  And also there was a bunch of related
> bash junk for dealing with finding multiple overlays.

Yep, I remember the auto bits as well.  While at the time, I think I was
pushing you towards it, I think I'm now with you on the being
conservative.  It was pretty easy to set up to use an external drive,
though.  I had a partition with a dos filesystem, created the
LiveOS/Fedora-8-Live-i686- file and booted with overlay=LABEL=foo (which
was the label of my filesystem).

Jeremy