[Fedora-livecd-list] Live ISO within initrd for PXE Boot?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 01:49:28 UTC 2008

http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/?p=livecd;a=commit;h=e0f0269d3a8f8f310e7c5fdfb8af45892f419c13

> The way it works is to bundle the complete ISO image inside the initrd.
> The kernel and (bloated) initrd are downloaded using PXE in the normal
> way, and the init script finds and loopback-mounts the ISO image and
> booting continues as normal.

Wow.  I don't mean to offend, but this seems like an incredibly bad way
of doing this.  Isn't this really slow in the boot up because you must
wait for the entire ISO to download?  It also requires the client to
have more than enough RAM to have the entire ISO in memory?  It sounds
like the entire memory used by the ISO remains unavailable to the booted
system.

I need something similar to boot read-only OS images over PXE boot for
LTSP.  Upstream LTSP5 uses nbd to serve a raw squashfs image as a
network block device, which means only a tiny bit needs to be in the
initrd and very little memory overhead.  Parts of the read-only image
are streamed over the network on demand.

I'm waiting on Jeremy to get back regarding a long-term plan for
supporting mayflower-like things within mkinitrd itself.  NBD support
was not accepted into mkinitrd because it would rely upon mayflower-like
functionality to do right.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com