[Fedora-livecd-list] Storing the image as UDF not IS9660

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Wed Feb 20 00:16:11 UTC 2008

In adding the data I wanted to the Live CD, I quickly ran into the
filename length limitation of ISO9660/Joliet.  If I'm willing to break the
Joliet standard, I can get files of length 102 on the disc.  Normally the
standard lets me use 64-character filenames.

Meanwhile, as I understand things, UDF is the normal filesystem for DVDs,
is pretty widely-supported, and supports 255-character-long paths, perhaps
longer <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems>.  It
would even work for CDs; it's not as if you'd have to stop supporting
generating CDs.  Right now, you generate DVDs as large CDs; using UDF
would let you generate CDs as if they were small DVDs.  (Both work on
most OSs, and besides, You would just switch to

Have you guys thought about making livecd-creator output UDF-format
filesystems rather than the limited ISO9660?

-- Asheesh.

--
* Knghtbrd is FAR too tempted to .sig this entire discussion...